Monday 25 March 2013

Handmade vintage collage card

Hi guys,
just a quick post to show you what I made this evening. 
I was meant to buy my Auntie a card today but I forgot, so thought I would take to my sewing machine and see what I could put together. 
I found an old vintage floral card, then some co-ordinating handmade paper, card, brown paper, lace, old newspaper etc.I have a box full of scraps like this that I hope will one day come in handy. I ripped, cut and arranged and then pinned together.




I used matching threads to sew the whole thing together around the edge of the picture. Then used my favourite technique of all time; free embroidery. I had forgotten how much I love this! I picked out some of the floral shapes using my needle to draw.
I finished by cutting out some slices using a craft knife and sticking the arrangement onto some peach card and voila. 






Not my finest work but I always think a handmade card is better than a bought one, or not having a card altogether.

I have set myself a sketchbook project with the theme of 'cage' but I'm severely lacking some inspiration for what to do with bird cage imagery. I'm really not a fan of the 'twee' floral, buttons, bird cage imagery. I am looking forward to getting onto the more gritty stuff like rib cages, vertebrae, body cages, and body harnesses.

Thanks for reading :)
Love Marnie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment